Monday, July 29, 2013

A Summer Garden to Bring in the Fun!

My dad and I have started a garden again this summer. I must admit there is something truly satisfying about planting a small little green thing in the ground and then poof you have food! (ok not poof, more like weeks of watering, weeding and patience, something I seriously lack) This year we decided to go small and concentrate on tomatoes (also we didn't get off the couch in time to plant more than that...did I mention that I'm a wee bit lazy!)
Here's the first of our crop. I happen to think it is the perfect tomato, but I may be biased. 


Didn't catch the magnificence? Here's another shot.


Is it not the best tomato? Ok it might not be the best but it did taste very yummy!
How about you? Did anyone else start a garden? 
We worked on some herbs and flowers as well. 

Here are our tomatoes. We have cherry, bradley, roma and I think beefsteak. As you can see the one in the back just exploded (that's the bradley). Our little roma has not done as well, but it has produced one very fine looking tomato while the large bradley is covered in only green tomatoes--and has been for weeks!

I don't know the names of all these flowers but I can tell you that the orange ones are zinnias and they are trying to take over the flower bed! The light purple and white ones are cosmos. There are lilies in the back and in the far left corner are snap dragons which, I found out recently, only need to be watered every other day. I have no idea what the gorgeous draping red flowers are. I'll just call them The Scarlet Drapers. 
And in the herb garden what do we have? Rosemary, oregano, dill, thyme, sage, lavendar and ....that might be it. This is an older picture and since this was taken we have added parsley, mint, chives and basil. I'll take some more recent pictures soon.

In the back barrel are our redwood seedlings. In the right barrel we have lingon and blueberries. Can't wait to try the lingon berries (the lingon berry jam at ikea is completely wonderful!) The barrel bursting with flowers holds petunias, lilies and two other flowers I don't know the names of (sorry I'm not great on details. I mainly think 'I want blue and purple flowers' buy the plants with those colors and try not to kill them)
And finally our jumbled contain garden. This is my area. I have picked out most of these plants and they are my little green babies. I only know the name of one flower: poppy! I'm very proud for knowing that. We also have mint over here that gets bruised occasionally when my dad and I rub the leaves for that wonderful scent! Oh and of course the lovely collection of tacky garden tools...I really should do something about that. 

Well, thank you so much for visiting our garden. I hope you enjoyed it. Very soon there will be a post dedicated to life in the garden. 





No comments:

Post a Comment